The Inland Press Foundation was incorporated March 24, 1975 in Chicago, as a nonprofit organization in the State of Illinois. The foundation was created by members of the Inland Press Association, also an Illinois non-profit. The association was founded in 1885.
The foundation has long funded education, training and other programs for the American newspaper industry.
In late 2019, the foundation revised its governance and is no longer a membership corporation. It is governed by a board of six directors and three officers, all of whom are nominated and elected by the board.
The Foundation is primarily supported through contributions and investment gains.