Reporters funded will include specialist and hybrid positions that focus on reporting on subjects of high importance to the local community: city/county government, schools, business, healthcare and sports.
Applying publications must meet the following requirements:
- Be a bona fide daily or non-daily newspaper who publishes a minimum of 48 issues a year.
- Special consideration will be given to independent and/or family-owned newspapers
- Issues must contain an average of 25% news content.
- Circulation must include 50% paid subscribers
- Cannot be predominantly engaged in advocacy or opinion content
- Must demonstrate clear and specific coverage goals.
- Funded position must be additive to the existing news staff.
- Publication must agree to fund the remaining half-salary of the subsidized reporter
Still wondering if you're eligible?
What you should know before applying:
- Selection committee will review all applications
- Applicants will be asked to describe what reporting the grant will fund
- Grant recipients will be required to report on outcomes quarterly
- Grant recipients must agree to enter into a grant agreement with Inland Press Foundation
- The Inland Press Foundation will be the sole judge of a publication’s eligibility to qualify for a grant